- Obesity is a growing problem which is driving the increase in Type 2 diabetes. India is 3rd most obese country in the world and obesity among adolescents (13-18 years) has grown from 16% to 29% over the last 5 years.
- Childhood obesity is a growing issue due to change in lifestyle such as calorie-rich diet and lack of exercise.
There are two key areas that need to be addressed in the area of diabetes in children.
- Help children with Type 1 overcome social stigmas and myths, as well as create an environment that is supportive, without discrimination in schools.
- Increase awareness about child obesity and Diabetes to help prevent Type II diabetes.
KIDS program is committed to foster a school environment that creates a better understanding of diabetes and supports children with diabetes.
- Foster a safe and supportive school environment for children with diabetes to manage their diabetes and avoid discrimination.
- Raise awareness of diabetes and the benefits of healthy diets and physical activities among school-age children.
Major Topics Covered Under KIDS Program
The KIDs program will cover key topics in the area of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Information on Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Hypo- and Hyperglycemia.
- Healthy lifestyle.
- Diabetes management plan.
- Guidelines for management of children with diabetes in schools.